Posts

Posts uit juli, 2018 weergeven

Skids

Afbeelding
With the same mahogany strip as the outwale, I made two strips for the skids. With these I will be able to pull the boat out of the water without harming the body. Procedure: mark the outline of the strips on the bottom, drill 3 mm holes, drill from inside the boat holes through the bottom in the strips, put thickened epoxy on the strips and in the holes and screw it together. In one plce I drilled to deep, so this little hole has to be filled with mahogany wood powder with epoxy later.  I used the rest of the epoxy for the foamblock under the aft seat. It needs some layers to get it strong. This foam absorbes a lot of epoxy. I probably have to buy some more. 



Rails

Afbeelding
I finally found a supplier of the mahony for the rails. I bought 4 x 250 cm for the side rails and 2 x 125 cm for the rails on the bottom. With my daughter's help I glued them to one side of the boat. No problems, properly aligned. For two sides at once I had not enough clamps. I used the rest of the thickened epoxy for glueing one block of foam to the rear seat. The shaping of the foam still has to be done. This foam is used for making the boat unsinkable.

Mast foot

Afbeelding
The mast foot had to be placed in the boat. In order to place it in the right spot, I had to get the mast up, so we layed the boat in the garden. My neighbour was thinking that I was launching her in the water. I'm afraid that this will only be after my holiday in August. so much to do.


Front deck

Afbeelding
I did some epoxy jobs, today. First I gave the mast its first epoxy layer. Then I glued the plate on the aft for connecting an outboard motor. Not sure to buy one ever, but it's easier to make it now than afterwards. I also put some epoxy on the wood of the bulkheads.
For the little front deck, with the hole in it for the mast, I had to glue two wooden parts to the hull that support the deck. First with a bit of glass epoxy, later more with wood power epoxy.
When weighing the resin and hardener, the epoxy appeared to have some white stuff in it. When I inspected the container, the complete bottom was cured! Not sure what went wrong but I continued and hoped that the used epoxy would cure. It would be a disaster if I had to remove it.



I made a hole in the boom for the rope that hould pull it down. With the applied wood epoxy you hardly see the bronze screw anymore.