Posts

Posts uit april, 2018 weergeven

Stitching finished

Afbeelding
All stitches have been made. The boat has become its final shape. The manual told me to "stand back and admire". I did. Next weekend the temperature will rise. Next job: glue the planks together at the outside, except on the spots where the stitches are. They will be removed later.


Stitching

Afbeelding
The central double bulkhead is finished. The star knobs were sold-out but I found nice large wing nuts. Between the parts I have put cardboard. Att first it appeared to be that thick that the nuts could hardly be turned on the bolts, so I took a hammer and flattened the cardboard a bit. With this cardboard it will be easier to split the boat and get a 'nested pram'.
Finally the stitching process could start. Instead of the recommended copper wire, I used a kind of iron wire used in gardens. Just the size to get through the little drill holes in the planks.
I had some problems to get the planks in place at the ends, at the transoms. Putting the sawhorses at the end made the 'boat' more round which made it less difficult. With help of my daughter, we finally succeeded. In the meantime we both stitched ourselves by the super sharp wire ends. Still some more planks to do and then it's time to glue the planks together between the stitches. Probable next weekend.
The dag…

Woodworking for advanced

Afbeelding
Temperatures till too low for epoxy jobs in the shed. I have used my time to make holes in the central bulkheads. The bolts which keep the two parts of the boat together, must be put in holes that are drilled in holes filled with epoxy. With that method, the wood will not be in contact with any water. So, drill the holes, fill it with epoxy and drill again with a smaller drill.

Next thing I have done: cutting rabbets at one side of each plank. The planks will overlap a little in order to get a strong connecting. 3 mm of the 6 mm should be removed at one side for half an inch. It was very hard to find the right rabbeting bit for the router. At https://rs-tools.nl/ they had the right (and expensive) one. It went well, so I can attach the parts together. The boat shape will be visible soon!